Skip to main content

Mount Everett, Mount Race, and Bear Mountain in Connecticut


This hike essentially concludes the backpacking trip I had planned for Labor Day weekend but had to cut it short due to weather. I headed back down to Mt. Everett and the Guilder Pond Picnic Area. This would be 13.2 miles round trip for us and from the map in my Guthooks ap, it looked a little steep in places. I set a turn around time for 2pm but I hoped to get out to Bear Mountain just over the Connecticut border. The morning was cool and I had a long sleeve layer on. Isis and I headed back up the trail to Mt. Everett. This took not a whole lot of effort for us and since we had been here before, we stuck around only briefly. From here on out, it's a new section of trail. 

I will say that coming off of Mt. Everett on this side is a lot steeper. There's plenty of rocks to deal with and 7 sets of stairs bolted into the rocks. Very reminiscent of The White Mountains but keep in mind that Mt. Everett is about half of a 4K... And it still gave me a run for my money. 



From here we headed back up a ways climbing to Mt. Race. This was an easier climb that I thought with the gain of trail being almost a flat and gradual climb until you pushed up to the summit on rocks. Poles on this trail are almost pointless except for the dirt sections between peaks. The threat of rain for the day looks to have passed given the view I was presented with but the chill was still in the air. After Mount Race, Isis and I walked some beautiful ledges. The kind that are open and the trail is pretty thin or just rock ledge to walk on. We lingered here to check out the views and chat with a few other hikers. 




After Mount Race and the ledges, we pushed on to the border and Bear Mountain. I was making pretty good time and the trail being a lot less steep than I initially thought was on my side. Prior to crossing into Connecticut, the trail had these decent flat stretches. Or at least it felt flat. The gains was that gradual. Isis and I cranked out the miles here. More people were on the trail heading to various tent sites. It's going to be a cold night and I am kind of glad I am not staying out. We reached the border of MA/CT in what seemed like less than an hour form Mt. Race. 




At this point, I had a choice, I could turn back now or push the final 1.5 to Bear Mountain. We pushed. The trail followed a stream here and it contained some decent cascades. At one turn, Isis and I began climbing. A little more than gradual here. I slowed down and continued up. With a half mile to go, Isis and I were presented with a jumble of rocks to scramble up. Careful steps and patience and we were able to get to flatter ground. It was not long after this that we came to the rocky outcrop at the summit. Several hikers were milling around with their dogs and Isis and I stayed long enough to snap a picture and chat with some section hikers form Virginia. 



So, this makes High Points in 5 New England States for us, among the AT miles we've accumulated. After chatting with the other section hikers, We began our trek back to the car and I was unsure if we would make it by Golden Hour. Getting down from Bear Mountain was tedious and then I just put my head down and we went for it. Turns out we did a mile and a half in just under 45 minutes. Knowing that I had some steeper grades to deal with on tired feet, I opted to keep the pace moving. Some of what I thought felt flat on the way out now felt slightly taxing on the way back. Isis was great at keeping with me and occasionally leading the way. As predicted we slowed to a crawl going up to the ledges and Mt. Race and again at Mt. Everett. At that point, I figured we'd get back to the car well before we needed to be so, the slow down was welcome. It was about 5:45pm when we got back to the car. 


Very pleased with the events of today. The hike itself was a risk for me having been keeping my mileage low these days on purpose. Perhaps I will keep going with this level. Just depends on day light I suppose. And even still, I'd like to see maybe one more weekend out in the tent. We'll see what can happen. After a positive visit with my Rheumatologist, I am more excited to hike now. I still have swelling and I'm developing Rynauld's Syndrome in my fingers and toes but I can wear socks and gloves to help that. The swelling is not nearly as bad as it use to be. I can remember where I was a year ago... In extreme pain, unable to grip anything with my hands and just crying for it all to stop. So, today, I have a little swelling but it's nothing I can't handle. A minor annoyance at best. My medications are working and I can keep hiking. My plan right now is to continue North to Mt. Greylock to finish Massachusetts, and then I'll figure out Connecticut. Maine is the state I'd rather not think about right now... I'm enjoying the easier terrain of the lower states. 

Coming up on a milestone birthday.. Or at least on of those, "Wow, I made it here", kind of birthdays. I have days when I don't feel that old and of course, I have days I feel older. Heading into the down side of  a decade seems kind of mind blowing to me. Yet, here I am still going. I am grateful that the issues that I do have still allow me to see this great world from a trail that seems to have welcomed me to hike it with open arms. This hike in Massachusetts felt like home and I am looking forward to more miles and views like today. Here's to another trip around the sun. 

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.


The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…