Skip to main content

Mount Watatic


I had bigger plans for the long weekend I had gifted myself and whenI woke up this morning, I wasn't feeling good about the weather. After about 45 minutes of debating, I called it off. Sat down for a cup of coffee and tried to figure out what to do. I'm off through Monday so, I can always get something of a backpacking trip in, even if it's just an over night either in New Hampshire or Massachusetts. Then I figured I would stay local today. I had been meaning to check out the Wapack Trail, so that would be a good one for today. Or at least a piece of it. The whole thing is only about 21 miles but I knew that was not going to happen. Isis and I headed off to Watatic after I packed up my small day pack. 


This was probably our third time on this little mountain so, I figured why not try and continue for a while on the Wapack trail? So, we set out and it really took us no time to climb to the summit. It's a warm day and I am aware of just how much water there isn't on the trail. Along the way though, I noticed that some trail work has been done. New stairs are in on one of the steeper sections. This trail is well traveled so, it's pretty wide too. Isis and I wandered out to the far summit before doubling back and having the actual summit to ourselves. People were just starting to arrive as we were getting ready to leave. 




It took me a little while to find the trail heading north. There are a lot of heard paths coming off of that summit and some are confusing. Once we were on the right track, I enjoyed the slabs coming of of Watatic. We passed by several large cairns as well. Eventually the trail widened out to road and became somewhat flat. Isis and I walked for about a mile before deciding that we didn't have enough water to keep going and we (well, I) was a little bored with the lack of change. Looking up ahead saw much more of the same for probably another mile or so. We turned back and headed to the parking lot, once we got to the junction. 



So, what I was suppose to do this weekend was to hike on the AT from Glencliff to Hexacube Shelter and back. It would have taken me 4 days (2 days out 2 days back). I packed up and everything but I was not crazy about the weather all week (super humid and showers). I'd try and convince myself that putting up my rain fly would help cut back on the weather soaking everything. The truth is though, when I woke up this morning, I just could not shake the fact that in reality, I'd be wet and miserable and my dog would be the same. So, I scrapped it and figure I'll try and head out for an over night when the weather gets more stable on Sunday. Might not be any part of the original plan, maybe we'll head to Massachusetts. I've got some time to figure it out. That's the beauty of section hiking. If I'm not crazy about the weather, there's no guilt in not going or changing the plan. 


I had been in bad need of some down time so, I gave myself a long weekend, thinking that a little trail walking would do me well. Except, maybe this time around the down time needn't include hiking 20ish miles (40ish round trip) and carrying 30Lbs. Maybe this down time is just little mellow walks and some quiet here at the house. Yes, I know my house needs attention and the yard does too but, so do I. Once I get myself right, everything else will fall back into place. While I love big long adventures, sometimes the best down time is a zero day or in my case for today, a nero day. 2 or 3 miles to stretch out the legs and give the dog some exercise (she's sleeping like a baby now), and I'm better able o think of what I really want to do. That section of New Hampshire has some good views that I would not want to waste so, maybe I'll try again on Labor Day weekend or maybe I'll split it into 2 overnighters rather than doing the 4 day stretch. In the mean time, I can slack pack and day hike my way around Massachusetts. This is the beauty of section hiking, the possibilities are endless! I have a life time now to do what ever I want in terms of hiking and I'm not wasting it over bad weather. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Tecumseh for November 2016

Fair warning... I've been cooped up with Viral Laryngitis this week so, this hike was chalk full of thoughts since well... I still can't talk. :) But as usual, I will do my best to provide trail conditions and my usual life musing. Read what you want and take the rest with a grain of sea salt and some chocolate. 
I chose the mighty little Tecumseh for no other reason than the fact that I have not been on a 4K since like... August ( I know it was Moose)? And... being "sick" I wanted to start off small and get my self out of the house and away from the remnants of Murica saying "Hold my beer and watch this...". Tecumseh is one that I could turn back on without too much agony, if I needed too. Today was a beautiful day and I thought I was leaving my house late but we made it to the ski resort (Waterville Valley) by 8am... And we were off. I'll note here that the large parking lot 1 at the trail head had only 2 other cars plus mine... It was a quiet mornin…