Skip to main content

Mount Piper and Whiteface, Belknap Range


It's a really simple and easy hike and today was a beautiful day for it. I started out at the turn around on Belknap Mountain Road, parked and hiked a short distance to the trail. There's a few houses and a really friendly dog wandering around today. He almost joined me on the hike but I convinced him to stay home. The gain is pretty gradual and constant on the Whiteface Mountain Trail. No water crossings and the trail is pretty dry. At the junction, I decided to head to Whiteface first. Heading to the right, the trail is pretty flat and wide. There's a few sections of mud that are easy to get around. Heading up to Whiteface, there's a series of balds  that look out over the region. There are views for miles today.



I was the only one over on Whiteface this morning but I quickly headed over to Piper rather than hanging out, retracing my steps back to the junction. A note about today... TICKS! Thank goodness my dog is white and treated with Advantix. The ticks are crazy today. On our way back to the junction, I must have pulled at least 10 off her. None imbedded, thankfully. Do your tick checks folks! I take the Piper-Whiteface link (Green Blazed) over to Piper. I really liked this trail because of the slabs. 




It's a beautiful day on Piper and Isis and I take an extra long break at the summit, chatting with a few people. It's such a quick hike but so worth it. There's a celebration at the summit today as Piper has been designated conservation land. The summit quickly fills up with people but I managed to get a picture on the summit chair prior to heading back down. Isis and I detoured to a nice quiet sunny spot for a rest. That full pack makes a great pillow!


Taking a rest in the hot sun is what makes Spring and Summer hiking for me and resting today with my best four legged friend was all I could ask for. Once again, I carried my full pack for the Long Trail, feeling confident, even for a short hike. But, I am also looking forward to not carrying around a weeks worth of tuna packets (the eating starts day 1!). After a nice warm rest, I made my way back to the car on the Whiteface Mountain trail. Curious as to how I missed the big house that was falling down just off the trail at a certain point this morning?? Not a bad day for starting at 8am, I was back to the car by Noon. Home in time to enjoy the afternoon too.


Two weeks... I'm down to two weeks before I head back out on the Long Trail. It's been a long year between these trips and I'm beyond excited to get back on trail. This past week, I finally got my pain level down to a .5. For reference, my pain scale was off the charts at certain points this year and it was all I could do to function. So, I'm pretty excited that my medications are finally working and even with a little swelling, I'm ready for the week on the trail. I know it seems silly to carry on about this trip. But, after this past year, it's a really important finish for me. And even though it's not a Thru Hike, this will still mean that I'm end to end from North Adams Mass to Canada, each step of my own power and with my best four legged friend, that's pretty special. All set to leave on June 3rd after one more local hike next weekend. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …