Skip to main content

Journeys End, North Troy Vermont


Time is growing closer and yet it seems so far away. Today, I drove over 3 hours to the Journeys End Trail in North Troy Vermont. This is the approach trail for the Northern Terminus of the Long Trail. I wanted to check out the road conditions for when my ride meets me up there. But I also couldn't not hike something so, I had planned on going to the shelter. I put my pack, now full with a weeks worth of provisions and gear, in the car and I was off. Straight up 91 and past my first college. 


The road is easy to find and relatively easy to travel to start with. Once you leave the population though it's a bit rutted and takes some care to maneuver down. I took it slow and made it in my Ford Focus but I believe that lower clearance vehicles will have a problem. I stopped at the first turn out but I realized that I could probably drive right to the trail. Either way, it's a .1 walk to the actual trail from the first turn out.


It's a very short trip up to the Journeys end shelter, .8 miles. The road eventually goes down to a trail and in places there is water running on it now. There's the stereotypical mud of the long trail here too. The black flies are out but if you keep moving and use a little Ben's 30%, they do no bother you. Isis and I crossed one stream with a high water rope across it. Didn't need it today but I was happy to see the water flowing. The leaves are slick on the trail as I climb with Isis. Our first stop is to check out the water supply for the shelter and it is flowing really well. For those that start at this end, you will have plenty to fill up at the start. For me, it won't matter too much for my exit.


The shelter is relatively new looking. Small but enough room for a night. Four walls and a door are always a welcome site. If no one else shows up, I will sleep in here for my last night in June. If other hikers are on trail, I will use my tent. Since I have the dog, this is only fair for the other hikers who may not like dogs or are allergic. I checked around and there are places to put a tent. There's also a fire pit too. As I was walking around, checking things out, I thought about the boundary. It's only .5 up the trail. It's barely 10:30 at this point. I can't really turn around and go back to the car. I was going to save the boundary for when I officially end, thinking that it would preserve the feelings and emotions. But then I realized that after walking the last 64.5 miles, NOTHING will stop those emotions. So, we walked up to the boundary.



The trail to the boundary is easy and a gradual climb with switchbacks. There's mud and leaves to deal with as well as some water. The trillium are out and lining the trail. I have missed spring! I walked out to the clearing and onto some rocks before looking down at the boundary marker. I had some fun walking from the US to Canada, took some pictures, and admired the view. Looking around, I spotted a white blaze. At first I was not going to set foot on the trail but, I had too. Four steps in put me at the Northern Terminus. It felt really good to be on trail.


The walk back to the car was easy and probably under an hour. At least from the cabin to the car it was 20 minutes. I carried a full pack today and while it was harder on the up trails, I eventually felt like I was just carrying a pack. The downs seem to fly by and I felt balanced with he weight. While I can't say I am looking forward to seeing the end again, I am looking forward to being on trail and waking these last miles. I hopped onto 93 South and drove through the Whites on the way home. Things are getting busy there again as the trails melt, with cars already parking on the highway through Franconia Notch. I believe that the Whites are becoming too over populated and too busy. I stopped for coffee at my usual spot at Exit 28, which was why I got on 93 in the first place. A regular thing when I hike and much looked forward too. Otherwise, I might not have gotten it until I was almost home, had I stuck with 91.


All the supplies have been bought and packed. Except for my home made jerky that I will make the week before. I've cut as much weight as I can. What remains now is the mental prep. I'm not pulling any big mile hikes to lead up to this final section. I think given what I've experienced in the past year, being rested and relaxed is more important. My medication has finally started to really maintain my symptoms so, I'm in a great spot. I just have one more doctors appointment the Tuesday before I leave to make sure I am all set and I know that I won't have any issues. I've been watching the weather too and it looks good so far. A little rain of course but it appears to be on the right days of the trip. I'll have two more hikes before I go, as of right now I can say that they'll be smaller peaks for short miles to not stress out my system. I can feel trail life creeping back again... I am so excited to take a walk. 

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.


The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…