Skip to main content

Mount Monadnock



Mount Monadnock via the White Arrow trail today... I parked at the Old Toll Road Trail Head which is about 10 minutes from my house. For those considering this trail head, it will be staffed with a Ranger again for the season starting April 15, 2017. As we all know by now too, there are no dogs allowed at the park. Isis stayed home today and boy was it hard to get out of the house without her. At the trail head, there is plenty of parking and given that people think it's Spring, there's already plenty of people parked at the trail head. I got my boots on and headed out. My pack is packed as if I was going to be on the LT for a week since I need to get use to the weight. You start out with a mile road walk up the old Toll Road. This is mostly up hill until you reach the White Arrow Trail. 


It's here that I put on my spikes and I am glad that I opted for my boots over my trail runners. I have my winter shell at the top of my pack for later. 30mph winds up top today and it's about another mile to the summit. Climbing through the hard woods, the trail is pretty choppy and still full of ice. I feel the weight of my pack and I'm glad I'm only doing Monadnock today but I also feel that the weight will not hold me back. A Blackhawk helicopter was circling the mountain and I thought the worst but believe it was just on a drill. There are others climbing today and it's a good mix of those that know the conditions and those that do not. I mind my own business and keep walking. At the section just before tree line, I tried to judge the ice flow and also noted that no one has bushed whacked around it. Up the middle it is. But first I let a father and son come down through as I put on my winter shell. Once at the top of this section, it's not long to the summit. I waited to make sure that a couple in tennis shoes made it down the section without injury.



From tree line, it's full on winter still but the trail is pretty boney and more ice than snow. I stopped to take in the view and how sweet it felt since i had not been above tree line since before my diagnosis. The winds are picking up but I forge ahead. Each time I climb higher, the view gets clearer.



At a certain point, my phone dies from the cold. Continuing to follow the tracks frozen in the trail in front of me, I step carefully in the frozen steps using the spikes for stability. Up the chute section which fills in with snow every year. That seemed pretty tame until the winds kicked up then you felt like you'd be blown down. Rounded the rocky summit and stood up there briefly for the view and made my way back down the way I came. A few others were making their way up. Some less than prepared and thinking they could forge their own trail were a little disappointed and had to turn back to the actual trail. Heading back down the trail, there were sections that I slid down but they were few and far between. Back at tree line, I stripped a layer and headed back to the car. Easy hike out with a few more coming up. Some in shorts that would be very surprised at what they find. All in all, today was very successful and just what I needed.


So, all in all, managing my Rheumatoid Arthritis has been going a lot better. I have 4 days left on Prednisone with the hope of staying off of it for a while. I still get swelling in my hands and feet but not nearly as bad as before my diagnosis and even at the beginning of treatment. I packed my full pack for my LT trip to test out the weight. I wanted to see if it would be hard (it was a little), if I swelled any (yes I did), and mostly could I handle it? Yes I can. This disease is so much worse than Osteoarthritis, in that both my hands and my feet swell... It's not just one joint causing an issue for wear and tear. It's all of them and some pretty strong fatigue on top of it. But I am confident that I can get ahead of things and reach my goal come June. My hope is that I build on today and get back up to the Whites soon for longer hikes with more challenges. 

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.


The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…