Skip to main content

Pitcher Mountain and the Temple Mountain Ledges



Local exploring today... Started out at Temple Mountain State Park in Peterborough NH. I've lived here for 12 years and this is my first visit. Isis and I head up the Bebee trail which is one of the old ski trails from when this was a ski resort. Easy grades to start before it ducks into the woods and heads up. Snow from yesterday is still hanging on the trees and for Spring time, it still feels like Winter. Trails are pitted from boot traffic and the new snow does not amount to much. I'm wearing my spikes to help with the icy spots. 



It was not long before this trail joined up with the Wapack Trail and lead to a cell tower. Isis and I stopped on the ledges to get a few pictures. We continued into the woods for a little while before deciding to head back to the cell tower. I want to do more research on the Wapack trail before I hike any more of it. Isis and I headed back down the Wapack Trail and bushwhacked back to the Beebe trail through some crusty snow with shallow post holes, and back down to the parking area. But, that's not all for today...


I didn't want to go home. I also didn't want to go home and drop Isis off to hike Monadnock (No Dogs allowed). So, we headed over to the town of Stoddard NH on 123 to Pitcher Mountain. Another mile long trail up to a fire tower. Isis and I climbed this with my mother a few months ago and also when we hiked the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway Trail so, it's super familiar. There were two other cars in the parking area which was passable on old snow. Isis and I head up the blue blazed trail since the Monadnock Sunapee looked less broken out and more choppy. This trail moves through some hard wood before passing a rocky section (ice today) and then leveling out to approach the fire tower. We arrived and met the other hiker who was bird watching. The wind was picking and the clouds were moving in as the forecast had predicted. 




We chatted for a bit before Isis and I moved to the other side of the tower to check out the views. I found myself wishing for warmer weather and for the blueberries that cover the summit come July. I have so many plans for the warmer months and they seem to keep growing. Isis lead the way back to the car where she was greeted by two golden retrievers and a back dog... All were heading south on the Monadnock Sunapee for today. Isis had her treats in the car as usual and I was happy to have gotten out for the morning. We'd be home by one, which is the advantage to exploring locally. 


Coming off of a good follow up with my Rheumatologist, where I saw my meds reduced and my baseline x-rays taken (hands and feet). I had hoped to be up North today. While my swelling in my hands and feet are way down, I still have stiffness in my hands, which may always be there and stiffness in my elbows and neck need a little more work. But trust me, it's no where near the immobility I use to have, or the swelling so much that I thought my hands were going to split open from the pressure. I am happy to be up and moving. Even locally for 4 miles is better than a day feeling sorry for myself on the couch because I missed my alarm to head up North by over sleeping again. Fatigue is still my biggest road block these days. Amazing, I can take the intense pain but being so tired I can't move is simply unacceptable to me. Today was a good day. I carried a little more weight, as I added my dinners to my pack. The weight made no difference, which made me happy. Every hike that I do pushes me towards my goal for the Long Trail. Those last 64 miles mean more to me now than ever... And the wait to get to June, jus may be the second hardest thing to get over. ;) Training will hopefully continue on Moosilauke next weekend.    

Popular posts from this blog

A Year's Worth of Planning for the Long Trail

It's amazing how quickly time flies. Last year when I got off the trail at Lincoln Gap, my mind automatically shifted to planning my final Thru Hike of the Long Trail where I would essentially pick up where I left off and walk to Canada, the northern terminus, with my dog Isis (Lil' Nugget on the trail). First and foremost, I wanted my gear to be lighter and I wanted my food to taste better. All throughout the year, I changed things around and I proudly managed to shave off 10lbs from my gear.  It's still heavy at 45lbs but that is also because I am a solo hiker, carrying all her gear, and her dogs gear and food too. I also researched foods that I could make in my dehydrator that might have a little more flavor than instant white rice and some meats and also had plenty of calories. This is what works for me, you might find that something different works for you. In my opinion, gear should be tailored to the hiker. I try and keep it really simple when I hit the trail while…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…