Skip to main content

Pitcher Mountain and the Temple Mountain Ledges

Local exploring today... Started out at Temple Mountain State Park in Peterborough NH. I've lived here for 12 years and this is my first visit. Isis and I head up the Bebee trail which is one of the old ski trails from when this was a ski resort. Easy grades to start before it ducks into the woods and heads up. Snow from yesterday is still hanging on the trees and for Spring time, it still feels like Winter. Trails are pitted from boot traffic and the new snow does not amount to much. I'm wearing my spikes to help with the icy spots. 

It was not long before this trail joined up with the Wapack Trail and lead to a cell tower. Isis and I stopped on the ledges to get a few pictures. We continued into the woods for a little while before deciding to head back to the cell tower. I want to do more research on the Wapack trail before I hike any more of it. Isis and I headed back down the Wapack Trail and bushwhacked back to the Beebe trail through some crusty snow with shallow post holes, and back down to the parking area. But, that's not all for today...

I didn't want to go home. I also didn't want to go home and drop Isis off to hike Monadnock (No Dogs allowed). So, we headed over to the town of Stoddard NH on 123 to Pitcher Mountain. Another mile long trail up to a fire tower. Isis and I climbed this with my mother a few months ago and also when we hiked the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway Trail so, it's super familiar. There were two other cars in the parking area which was passable on old snow. Isis and I head up the blue blazed trail since the Monadnock Sunapee looked less broken out and more choppy. This trail moves through some hard wood before passing a rocky section (ice today) and then leveling out to approach the fire tower. We arrived and met the other hiker who was bird watching. The wind was picking and the clouds were moving in as the forecast had predicted. 

We chatted for a bit before Isis and I moved to the other side of the tower to check out the views. I found myself wishing for warmer weather and for the blueberries that cover the summit come July. I have so many plans for the warmer months and they seem to keep growing. Isis lead the way back to the car where she was greeted by two golden retrievers and a back dog... All were heading south on the Monadnock Sunapee for today. Isis had her treats in the car as usual and I was happy to have gotten out for the morning. We'd be home by one, which is the advantage to exploring locally. 

Coming off of a good follow up with my Rheumatologist, where I saw my meds reduced and my baseline x-rays taken (hands and feet). I had hoped to be up North today. While my swelling in my hands and feet are way down, I still have stiffness in my hands, which may always be there and stiffness in my elbows and neck need a little more work. But trust me, it's no where near the immobility I use to have, or the swelling so much that I thought my hands were going to split open from the pressure. I am happy to be up and moving. Even locally for 4 miles is better than a day feeling sorry for myself on the couch because I missed my alarm to head up North by over sleeping again. Fatigue is still my biggest road block these days. Amazing, I can take the intense pain but being so tired I can't move is simply unacceptable to me. Today was a good day. I carried a little more weight, as I added my dinners to my pack. The weight made no difference, which made me happy. Every hike that I do pushes me towards my goal for the Long Trail. Those last 64 miles mean more to me now than ever... And the wait to get to June, jus may be the second hardest thing to get over. ;) Training will hopefully continue on Moosilauke next weekend.    

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.

The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…