Skip to main content

Mount Pierce February 2017



Mount Pierce would have to be the goal for today as I slept late and didn't want to hike Waumbek just yet. And this (Pierce) would be my #2 of the 48 (again) for Rheumatoid Arthritis. So, I opted to head up the Crawford Path by the Highland Center off 302 in Crawford Notch. This would be my 10th visit to the summit and the Crawford Path is my standard route. Northern New Hampshire has received a great deal of snow in the past week and my decision to wait until trails were broken out was sound... Short dog and still building strength back. 


The lower section of the Crawford Path is well packed down and easy to travel. The temps this weekend have been warm so, there is a softening factor to the day. I am wearing my Tubbs Flex VRT's primarily for the heel lifts on the steeper sections of trail but really you can wear spikes and be OK with things. Just don't step off the solid trail or you will sink in. Not as many layers on today as it is warmer than usual but my white puffy is packed for above tree line. Isis is having an easy go of the trails too. Plenty of people out including one boy scout troop from Connecticut. I did my best to try and keep distance but would often bunch up with them. I'm moving much slower these days so, I am anticipating a longer than usual ascent (Which drives me crazy!). I've made up my mind that this journey is no longer about speed and long distance/multiple peaks, but about being better than I was the last time I hiked. My back has been stiff recently and the heel lifts really help alleviate the pressure on my back and other joints. I was thrilled with this find. These snow shoes (The Tubbs Flex VRT's), are worth it for the heel lifts and the bindings (my hands don't tighten traditional bindings tight enough). I take a brief break a lot more frequently than I use to but I push to the intersection with the Mizpah Cut Off, take some water and give Isis some treats. I can now hear the wind picking up but I put off putting on my puffy layer. I try again to get some distance from the boy scouts but they are soon on my heels. When I pull over to put on the puffy coat, I waited as they passed and then made sure I let them get far ahead. This section of trail is some of my favorite and I enjoyed not feeling rushed as well as the quiet. 


The snow is getting deeper on the upper section of the Crawford Path and you have a greater chance of both crashing into branches and falling into spruce traps if you step off the trail. I've taken to picking up Isis as we pass people because I'm not crazy about spruce traps. The trail is only a snowshoes width so, passing is tight. A couple of steep sections make me realize that this is harder than it ever has been for me but I am determined to make the summit. Once we pass the Alpine Zone sign, the trail looks completely different. You are walking above the trees due to the snow depth. There are more views than ever right now too. The wind is kicking up and when this happens, Isis begins to rush things. In fact, she breezes by the sign post and heads for the summit. Normally this is a climb too but the snow has filled in nicely. 



At the summit with the boy scout troop, I have a nice chat with the scout leaders. They were talking gear, RA, and dog hiking with me when suddenly down trail we hear a HELP.... Everyone clears the summit and heads in the direction of the call. A hiker was concerned that he had lost his hiking partner, I'm assuming they were coming over from Eisenhower. The good thing was that, as it turns out the guys hiking partner was mingling with the group. This of course could have been much worse. Isis and I head for tree line since the wind is pushing her to her limit in terms of stress. I try again to get space from the boy scouts but they are right on my heels and making me nervous. People are coming up to the summit and the trail is crowded. I push through and ask for space for the dog and myself. I just need to get her to tree line where the winds are calmer. At the point where I take a layer off the whole group again passes me. Going down the trail is always easier than heading up and since the trail is solid, this is a breeze. My heels are a little raw in my boots but other than that, I am finally feeling good. Or at least better than when I started. At the road, it's difficult  to get over the huge snow banks to get back over the the Highland Center and care needs to be taken when crossing 302. 


So, here's the low down on my recovery... It's going to be a long one. Still have pain in my feet, hands, knees, elbows, and now my back... It's a pain that makes it hard to bend these joints due to stiffness and swelling as the disease flares up. The new pain and stiffness in my back makes it hard to to do a lot of things too. But here's the thing, if I can push though it, by afternoon I am able to function somewhat normally. Every day, this is life. Getting out to the trails is a challenge since I am whipped out so, any day I get on trail is a great one for me. Making it to the summit is an all out party for me. On today's hike of Pierce, it was an constant battle to keep going as my energy was being sapped on the ascent. I had determined that it's no longer a race to the summit but a slow journey and I was finally OK with that. As I get stronger, the harder hikes will come back to me but until then any day I get on the trail is a win. Staying positive and being positive to others on the trail helps too. I stopped being so concerned about trail conditions and the people around me that I just enjoyed my hike and let others enjoy theirs. Blocking out the off trail world really helps too. 

And as for the final leg of the LT, it weighs heavy on my mind but I will push through it when the time comes. I am hoping that I'll be much better by June. The gear is rolling in and I'm just waiting for my sleeping bag to arrive. Food is being planned and I am pushing forward. Full speed a head. 

Keep hiking the good hike and Isis and I will see you out there. 


Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …