Skip to main content

Almost Monadnock



The January thaw is in full swing and I could not make it up north this weekend so, I went to my trusted back up... Monadnock. When I just need to get out, I head to the Old Toll Road trailhead which is about 10 minutes from my house. No need to get up super early for this one. The Old Toll Road trailhead is not maintained in winter but because there is a residence close to the trail, the road to the home is maintained. Parking can be pretty tight though and use the iron ranger for the fee. Oh, and no dogs allowed on Monadnock (I'll say more on that later). So, it's about a mile up the road tot he White Arrow Trail and from there it's a mile to the summit. Some day's this could be just a two hour trip for me. But today, I'm in no rush. Road walks don't usually bother me so, when I get to the actual start of the White arrow trail, I'm greeted with ice... As I had suspected. 


There was another hiker determined to make the summit as this was her first solo hike. I'm not so eager. Being so close to home, I have that luxury. So, I decide to see what happens. Ice on the trail builds as I ascend. I know this trail cold so, I am aware of certain sections that will have more ice than others. I am eager to get to the "waterfall" before tree line. 





Most sections can be walked up with Microspikes (your choice of Kahtoolas or Hillsounds). One small bridge on a very small water crossing, should firm up when the temps drop again. Intact, the conditions will firm up and get even icier over the next 72 hours (ice/sleet/freezing rain/rain moves in). It's foggy and I'm aware that there will be no view. I reach what I like to call the water fall. It's really just an over active stream that needs a water bar or two to divert it from the trail. In the winter time, this water fall is nothing but flow ice. Lots of thick blue ice that you can walk on with microspikes or you can bushwhack around on the right side. Your choice depending on comfort. I chose the whack since I'm not even close to 100% with what ever I have going on in me. I really don't want to fall on hands and wrists that are already afflicted with "something". I generally like this section and this trail to the top. It's quick and easy... Usually. Today, I can already feel the freezing rain getting ready to greet me at tree line.... Not worth it. I can climb this peak on a good day after work and still make it home to cook a decent dinner. Today, I just needed to stretch my legs and get away from my thoughts and the world for a while. 




I head back the way I came and in reverse, the ice flows are pretty easy to grip into. I do try and at least let people know the conditions I experience. Especially on a day like today. Some get snippy but that's on them. I still ran into plenty thinking that they could hike in jeans and other street cloths too but I'm kind of done with the lecturing. You make your own choices when you enter the trails... Monadnock is a well traveled mountain but it still deserves respect. Many get hurt on this peak. Many also get lost as well. I ran into one old timer that I absolutely loved. Don't know him and it doesn't much matter. He's just has happy as I am to be out today, summit or not. It was really nice to end my day on that note. Once back at the car, there's a couple getting ready to ascend. I give them the conditions I had and note that they are prepared with all the right gear... There's a German Shepard Dog barking away in the car... No dogs allowed at Monadnock. He's staying in the car, while they hike. I just could not do that to my dog. Not in the heat of the summer and not in the cold of the winter. Please, jus leave your dogs at home. 


I needed to get out and stretch my legs today so that I can keep my mind off of Tuesday. Tuesday I head back to the doctors to figure out why I am so tired and why my hands and feet are so swollen. I am hopeful for some answers but anxious all the same. Of course, I am keeping my focus on the Long Trail coming up in June. My new tent arrives tomorrow from Lightheart Gear. I'm waiting until after Tuesday to figure out what my conditioning for the LT will look like. I would love to get back to the 4K's and the AT but I think there's a lot of healing to be done first. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …