Skip to main content

Stage Rd to Dupris Hill Northbound AT in Woodstock VT.


Today was about walking. Not about time or miles, not about being the fastest or the slowest, it's just walking. I skipped up to Stage Rd in Woodstock VT because there is a shelter in the section before hand that I want to do an overnight in (The Look Out). So, I will flip back and tie up that loose end later. Today, it's raining but not enough to really be concerning. We need the rain so, I am far from complaining. I tossed on my rain shell and Isis and I got on trail after pulling off on Stage Rd in Woodstock VT. There's only room for about 2 cars here and as my luck would have it, I'm the second car. Crossing the foot bridge, we are on our way...




Almost immediately after the foot bridge, we begin crossing huge open fields with borders of foliage. The weather seems to enhance the colors.The trail here is pretty easy but it's not flat. There is some climbing today at a low elevation. We walk back into the woods after crossing a road and continue to gain a small amount of elevation. 




I come across some crazy big blow downs and one crazy looking tree that is still standing. There's a ton of established stealth sites in this area for camping. Crossing a clearing, you then head back over more open fields with bog bridges to help and posts with blazes on them to follow. Not that the trail is not well worn in this area. It's practically carved into the ground. Such a beautiful day in the rain so far. The trail is also quiet except for a few blue jays that seem to follow us. Getting ready to cross yet another road, we again duck into the woods. This time, the green tunnel lasts for a while and follows a rock wall. The trail is wide enough for an ATV to travel on it. Even absent of views, this day has been refreshing. 





After you walk the "road", you come to a split with a sign and you again begin to climb. There is a chill in the air here as we continue. Ultimately, I'd love to get to Thistle Hill but I know that I'm pushing my time today. It's Sunday which means I need to work tomorrow so, I am slack packing and need to be mindful of my time to get back to the car. I know, I know, I have a head lamp but, something in me always wants to get back to the car in day light, especially in unfamiliar Vermont. The trail opens up and we are heading to another bald. There are some small fir trees mixed in on the sides of the trail and all I want to do is decorate them for christmas. We come to rest at the top of the bald, no view and I choose to head back from here. I can pick it up again next time. So, we turned back at Dupris Hill. I bet on a clear day, the view is really pretty. 




Back tracking is pretty easy and goes by rather quickly the one water crossing is low and easy and the trail as always is in good shape so, much like heading in, heading out is the same. It just feels good to be on trail today and my mind has been drifting between this endeavor to section hike the AT and my final section of the LT. My head is slowly getting back in the game as well, I am feeling peaceful again. I'll admit that stress and uncertainty has been contributing to my lack of enthusiasm for these weekly walks. Striking a balance with my mind, and being OK with doing these small slack packs seem to help me keep going as I creep my way to the New Hampshire border. My goal right now is to do what I can before the snow flies and then head back to The Whites for some fun on the less crowded trails in the Whites. Ultimately, I'd like to see myself complete as much of the AT in New England as I possibly can and with Vermont and New Hampshire virtually completed, I think it's a reasonable goal. 


Someone has her bi-annual vet visit next weekend so, it looks like another slack pack on Saturday, if I can get out... Maybe after that, I'll get one last over night and pick up that skipped section with an over night at the Look Out (It has a wood stove). Lots to look forward to as the leaves continue to turn in anticipation of the flakes beginning to fall. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …