Skip to main content

Pitcher Mountain, Stoddard NH


It's such a short hike... Just off of route 123 in Stoddard NH, is a .2mile trail to a fire tower on Pitcher Mountain. In Blueberry season, you are sure to come back with blue stained hands but today, was just a beautiful fall day. I had the privilege of having my mother along for company, which made the day even better for me. It's not often that she and I share a trail together. Our Last adventure was about three years ago on Mt. Israel. 



Pitcher Mountain Trail starts off as a typical wooded trail blue blazed. You can also choose to take the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway trail which is blaze white. Both offer good footing and the MSGT is just a tad longer and takes you by a field with maybe a few cows from time to time. In certain seasons, this is also an active bear area. Pitcher Mountain trail, which is the one we took today, is .2 through the woods and quickly opens to blueberry bushes (past season now). Slightly over grown trail but still wide enough to pass through. You can see where some animals have kind of plowed their way through the bushes. Once you reach this point, you can see the fire tower. New signs at the top really point you in the right direction if you were on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. When I came through back in April/May, this signage was missing. We found a good place to sit on the rocks at the summit and enjoy the views, some food, and each others company. A few other families and dogs were also out for the day. All in all, it took us about a half hour to make the climb. We returned the way we came, taking our time coming down. Again, you can take the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway down for a longer loop hike if you choose. Just a fantastic fall day for a quick hike to stretch out the legs and exercise the dog. Wind kept it just cool enough to need long sleeves but the sun warmed you up enough to not need anything more. Pitcher Mountain is great for those that love to be out in the woods but maybe don't like all the rocks and ledges of the larger peaks or even Monadnock. Lots of great areas to explore around too if you follow the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. This was perfect for myself and my mother today and great that we could share it. 





Now that the house is ready for the colder months, I'm thinking of my last overnight for the season and looking forward to WINTER... Unless I find a warmer sleeping bag or figure out a way to compress my 20* bag smaller. Then maybe I can do one more. I will probably be back on the AT in Vermont next weekend inching closer to the border of New Hampshire. From there, we'll see what happens next. I could go to Massachusetts for more AT miles or back to the peaks of New Hampshire. Isis and I definitely have a few winter peaks we would like to visit when the snow flies and she has a few she'd love to complete after the official start of Winter for the unofficial Winter Dog 48, but for the most part it's just great to get out for some no pressure exploring. Life as always is sweet!



Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Tecumseh for November 2016

Fair warning... I've been cooped up with Viral Laryngitis this week so, this hike was chalk full of thoughts since well... I still can't talk. :) But as usual, I will do my best to provide trail conditions and my usual life musing. Read what you want and take the rest with a grain of sea salt and some chocolate. 
I chose the mighty little Tecumseh for no other reason than the fact that I have not been on a 4K since like... August ( I know it was Moose)? And... being "sick" I wanted to start off small and get my self out of the house and away from the remnants of Murica saying "Hold my beer and watch this...". Tecumseh is one that I could turn back on without too much agony, if I needed too. Today was a beautiful day and I thought I was leaving my house late but we made it to the ski resort (Waterville Valley) by 8am... And we were off. I'll note here that the large parking lot 1 at the trail head had only 2 other cars plus mine... It was a quiet mornin…