Skip to main content

Deer Leap Mountain


The weather was kind of questionable this weekend. I knew that I wanted to get out on the AT though and that pretty well meant that I'd stay sheltered which is a lot better than being above tree line. After a late start from the house, I arrived at the parking area off Route 4 in Killington VT. I'd hike to the Maine Junction at Willard Gap and then hit the AT for a while there. I'm figuring that I'll just chip away at the remaining Vermont miles and this will also keep my legs conditioned for my remaining LT miles (probably this time next year). Isis of course would be with me. 


Things didn't start looking familiar until I was into the forest and away from the busy road. Then I remembered hiking this little section. I was hot that first time and cranky and really just needing to get to shelter. Today though there was a nice breeze and the forest was nice and green. Everything seemed the same but different. It's a well traveled trail with a double stream crossing at the beginning. This is the only water for a while and I was surprised that it was still flowing. But Vermont has had more rain than New Hampshire as of late. Still, if you are low, you'd be wise to scoop and fill here. Isis and I hit the incline and I remember myself pitching a fit in the humidity. Today though it was an easy climb (although I still huffed and puffed and sweated). I was surprised that Willard Gap came up so quickly once we crested the incline. Another LT section hiker was behind us and we chatted at the Maine Junction for a bit before an unleashed dog disrupted us by not leaving Isis alone. The other hiker was ready with his walking stick though. I found that rather nice from a stranger. I was sorry I had to move on quickly to keep the dogs separated. So, now Isis and I are just hiking the AT and I think that given the lack of loop hikes, we will try and get to the state forest and turn back. It's not a far hike. 3.3 miles total one way.


Isis and I walk the trail through the woods which is well traveled. There is evidence that there was once a lot more water on this section but most little run offs have dried up now. There are a few hikers here and there but for the most part, we are alone today. Each one we meet is heading to Georgia so, the southern bubble must be moving through. Isis is kind of stand offish so I keep her off to the side. There's no mud on this section either which is nice. We continue walking over a few little hills and encounter some day hikers heading to Deer Leap Outlook. I think that maybe we'll stop by there on our way back. Given the low miles and taking into account the rain, I think we'll be good to go. As we walk, we reach the end of the trail (for us) at VT100 and Gifford Woods State Park. Isis is not so good with turn around points. It's takes a little convincing that we are going in the right direction. But we get back into a rhythm soon enough and find our way back to the junction for Deer Leap. It's got a decent gain to it and even though it's short, I get a little work out as well. We are almost to the outlook when we have to wait for about 25 people... A wedding party had ascended the outlook and was just leaving as I was getting there. Everyone was in great spirits of course. Isis and I popped out on to the rocks with a few others still sitting there. She rested, I took in the view, and also noted the storm clouds moving in. We may have had just the right pace today.



Heading down Deer Leap Mountain and back to the AT was a pretty easy mile. There was a few steep down sections and then a quick and steep up out of the gap. I was kind of thankful for the trail today as I need conditions like this to keep me in shape for my LT finish. The more I hike it the more I'll get use to it. The temp is changing in the forest and the breeze is picking up ahead of the rain. We stopped again t the Maine Junction for a snack and some water. I thought about heading down the LT for a bit but instead, Isis headed back to the road. We passed through the forest again and I really loved that the little yellow flowers were still all over the trail. Three NoBo's where also heading in and I was surprised because it's kind of late in the season. We came back out to the road and crossed back to the car in no time. Headed for home as the rain began to pour down.


Sometimes, I just have to get out for a walk. I don't need big epic trips week after week but just enough time to clear my head and get ready for the next week is good enough for me. All miles count and today's 3.3 got me slightly closer to finishing off my first state on the AT. I'll get there little by little. I'm in the prefect place to hike right now as the terrain is exactly what I need to keep me going. More so, at this time of year, I like to remember how this all started and dream of where I'll go next. Revisiting little sections of familiar ground does my mind good. I'm always glad to hike with or see people on the trails but I am equally happy with those long stretches of just the breeze and my breathing being the only things I hear. I'm ready for what ever the next year will toss at me... 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …