Skip to main content

Stratton Mountain VT


I've never been more happy to hike than I was today. After being out for 2 weeks with tendonitis, I was relieved that I could put my pack on and get myself up a mountain. Two weeks ago, I could not move my left arm and my right wrist was not doing well either. One trip to the walk in clinic and I was on a two week vacation with 2 weeks of prescription Naproxen. Thankfully not any longer and no extensive damage as I thought I might have torn my rotator cuff. So, today I had originally planned to head up north to Tecumseh. Well, then I had other ideas... Stratton Mountain. I'm so glad I did this as I feel my ass would have been dragging up Tecumseh for the, I don't know how many times. I really needed the change of scene and I needed to feel at home. 


After an hour and a half of back roads from my home in Southern New Hampshire, I landed in familiar territory (So close to home I could still listen to my radio station all the way there). The last time I was here, it was after 2 days of soaking rain and my gear was a mess. When I reached the trail head sign, I had declared that I would take the first camp site I found... It was about 100 feet up from the trail head and it was one of the best nights from back in 2015. My gear did not dry out but I'll get back to that later. This time around, there are 3 SOBO's still asleep at 8:30am in my old campsite. I smiled and tried to keep quiet. There is a slight incline heading up from the parking area which is also big and holds a lot of cars. The trail from there evens out and begins wandering in the woods a little. There are bog bridges over that famous Vermud we all love to hate. The forest around me today is nothing like I remember. It's bright and lush and green over the dreary August day from 2015. My shoulder feels good and I have switched to my day  pack, which is feeling lighter than my backpacking pack today. Isis and I enjoy the trail's quiet to ourselves. 



We were passed by two women and their dogs. How refreshing it was to be thanked for the warning about Isis being on leash and how nice it was that they kept their pups moving past and complimented Isis. I absolutely loved this over the usual "White Mountain Lecture", which is more like a scolding. Things are different over here as we wished them well. Isis and I are in no hurry today and this is how it should be every day. We get so wrapped up in getting to the summits and "beating time" that we forget it's the stuff in the middle that matters. The trail is very kind. It's such a gradual ascent that I don't even notice the climb. There are a few sections that might qualify as steep but then it levels out quick and gives you a nice mellow section to walk. You hardly notice it. We run into another SOBO about 20 minutes from the top who is hoping to get to Goddard Shelter tonight. I fill him in on the trail and he's appreciative of this info. What a great crowd hiking today. But then, it's not very crowded at all. Isis is doing well as people are leaving her alone for the most part. Unless you are family, you have to let her approach you first otherwise she will snap. Many hikers don't realize this until it's too late. I believe that she too benefitted from time off the trails as she is not acting up at all and is not seeking out treats like a mad puppy. Mind you that all the while I am thinking to myself that this trail seemed so much harder the first time I did it but today, it is flying under my feet. We pass the only real water source. I'd still filter as it is passing over a metal (somewhat rusted) piece to act as a spout. I know we are close now. The trail from here is very enjoyable. 




There is a lot of history at that summit. The caretakers (Jean and Hugh) have been there forever. They live in the cabin during hiking season and are full of great information and stories. I thoroughly enjoyed  my visit and I thanked Jean for getting me going again in 2015. It was her pep talk that got me to continue on and eventually make it to Lincoln Gap. We need more people like her in this world. Isis and I hung out at the summit for quite a while. I tried to get up the tower above the trees but only made it to the first platform before my knees said, You know what... No. So, no real view for me but that's not what this trip was about. The crowd from the gondola was filling in and a few Thru's were milling about. Such an interesting mix of people and I caught some interesting looks between the two groups. What a riot to people watch when tourists, day hikers, and Thrus, meet. We sat back down ad talk with Jean for a while before deciding to head back down. What a joy to hike today. 



The hike out went slow at first since Isis really does not like non-loop hikes. Once we got going though, it was smooth sailing. We ran into a few LTer's and a lot of NOBO ATer's on the way up. Mixed in with a family of day hikers. So, the trail was picking up a bit. Everyone was still in great spirits and full of compliments on Isis' behavior. We happened upon a group of naked thru hikers as well shortly after the family. Great kids but I did warn them that there were even younger kids up ahead. In Vermont, you can actually hike naked any time of year so, this is a common occurrence on the trail. They appreciated the warning and began to devise putting some clothes on. Isis and I landed back at our old campsite which was now vacant and waiting for the next group of hikers to amble in for the night (it was still early). I could picture it set up just as I had back in 2015... I pictured how happy I was that my gear was drying and then remembered that more showers came in over night. What a great section of trail for us to re-enter hiking on. I was so thankful for today on so many levels. 

LT Camp 2015

So, today was a very big test for me. I had two weeks of rest due to tendinitis and was really hopeful that I could make a return. I had chosen Tecumseh originally but switched plans rather abruptly to Stratton Mountain. I just felt that I'd be dragging up Tecumseh and not really enjoying the hike as I use to so, spending time on trails I call home was exactly what I needed. Away from the crowds and with the crowd I fit in with. I wanted this hike to go well for a lot of different reasons. Health was a top priority after not being able to move my arm well for a few weeks. But also, I want to head back to Camels Hump and pick up those miles I left behind. Considering what we did on Mansfield to get up and over and the fact that we've already done the NOBO approach to the summit, I think we should be OK if we just take it slow. It's the only way I will feel right about completing the LT next year. Labor day was when I wanted this to happen and that means up and over, taking a few days to do it... There is one hell of a road walk into the park to begin with and I need to be in good shape. So, thankfully today went very well and instead of thinking of quitting, I kept on going. Being positive and being surrounded by positive people made all the difference. Now, CAMEL'S HUMP... I'm looking right at you. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …