Skip to main content

Mount Monadnock


While I am waiting to head back to the Long Trail this week, I decided to make a quick trip up Monadnock. Funny how I find this peak in my backyard and yet I only seem to hike it when things are not quite right. It's been a tough adjustment since I left the Long Trail last week and I needed this beautiful day on the summit... It will get me back on trail. So, I took the Dublin Trail up for some fun this time around. It's only about 2.1miles from car to summit but it's got a ton of different terrain. I've always said that if a person can't get up North to hike, just try Monadnock... It's got it all on one mountain. 




Dublin Trail, starts out really mellow crossing the access road and into the hard wood forest. I have my small "Seek the Peak" pack today as my larger one is packed and ready to leave for the LT. It feels great to have such a light load on my back. Two one liter bottles of water should be good even though it's humid out today. I should also say that I am hiking solo... In that I have had to leave Isis at home. There are no dogs allowed on Monadnock. She's home resting up. I'll still have to walk her after this too. There is also no water down low so, make sure you have enough from beginning to end. 




I hit a series of scrambles before breaking tree line, which is characteristic of the upper trails on Monadnock. It's fun to hike these and I can feel the breeze starting to kick up. It was great to run into the 3 gentleman that I shared camp with my last night on the Monadnock Sunapee Greenway. Nice to rest for a bit and catch up. They were finishing the trail today and just needed to get back to the car. Once you break tree line, the trail to the summit is very quick over slabs and large boulders. The summit itself is very busy and also windy. The wind feels great after such a humid climb but I did eventually take out my extra layer while I was sitting. A very nice gentleman took my summit picture too... Seems like forever ago that I had one of those taken. After this, I began my descent of the trail and stopped on the lower ledges for some water, food, and a chance to sit in quiet and enjoy the day. I love seeing people at the summit and most are in great spirits. I also love my quiet time to sit and think.




It's just a beautiful day up top. The breeze makes the temp's bearable and I'm enjoying sitting in the sun watching the crows play on the thermals up in the breeze. Things feel right again, even with this small success. I'll be heading back to the LT to pick up a little after I left off. I'll be heading over Mt Mansfield by the end of the week to set myself up now for a 2017 finish. I spent a lot of time this hike getting my head in the game where I was completely out of the game last week. I wanted to give up when it was really hot and humid and I was working hard. But I didn't. I got over the wall of quit and made it... 3165ft never felt so good after the rocky path to get here. The descent of the trail went very quick and I felt confident on the downs. I had the pleasure of watching a four year old girl begin her hiking career on this trail today. She was owning that trail too! I don't care how big or how small the mountain, you always walk out feeling like you are walking off the space shuttle on the return from a space mission. It is always an accomplishment to hike a mountain.


Such a confidence booster right in my backyard and Dublin Trail is by far my favorite for a variety of obstacles. Ready and focused for Mt. Mansfield and another 23.3 mile section of the Long Trail. Once step at a time, I will arrive at the border and it will be a very sweet End to End victory when it does happen. 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Tecumseh for November 2016

Fair warning... I've been cooped up with Viral Laryngitis this week so, this hike was chalk full of thoughts since well... I still can't talk. :) But as usual, I will do my best to provide trail conditions and my usual life musing. Read what you want and take the rest with a grain of sea salt and some chocolate. 
I chose the mighty little Tecumseh for no other reason than the fact that I have not been on a 4K since like... August ( I know it was Moose)? And... being "sick" I wanted to start off small and get my self out of the house and away from the remnants of Murica saying "Hold my beer and watch this...". Tecumseh is one that I could turn back on without too much agony, if I needed too. Today was a beautiful day and I thought I was leaving my house late but we made it to the ski resort (Waterville Valley) by 8am... And we were off. I'll note here that the large parking lot 1 at the trail head had only 2 other cars plus mine... It was a quiet mornin…