Skip to main content

Mount Tecumseh Just Because...


To zero or not.... The main question of my week after my big finish of my Winter peaks last weekend on Mt. Adams. So, I chose Mount Tecumseh because when I need a hike in a pinch but don't have time for a big expedition, I can hike Tecumseh and feel satisfied. The weather today was over cast so, I was not really worried about a view being missed. Tecumseh also allows me to sleep in. I got up at a leisurely 6am and drove up to the Ski resort (Waterville Valley) and arrived just before 9am. I was not thinking I would get a spot in the Hiker's Lot 1 at this late hour (Stay to your left when driving in otherwise you are in the valet line). I lucked out and got a spot. No hoofing it to the trail today! It's actually warm. Maybe I'm over dressed in my layers but I figure that I can strip down or vent. My pack is stripped down too. Not nearly as much food but enough for safety. Water was in my Nalgene but I probably could have gotten away with a bladder. I had a reserve water in my pack too. A slim Smartwater bottle holds enough for a refill and is super light. I hit the trail around 9am with Lil' Nugget. 



The cars for the ski resort were lining up so, I consider myself lucky to get a spot where I did. As we begin, the trail is super packed. I had put the snow shoes in the car and there they stayed. I was originally concerned for drifting but with a lack of wind and snow, I figured I was safe. The first water crossing right at the trail start is open but very easy to step on rocks. Then we just cruise up the trail. It's an enjoyable hike that meanders through the base of the mountain. You can hear the hum of the snow guns and the bustle of the ski resort so, it's not exactly peaceful but it can be blocked out. It seemed to take us no time to navigate to the second water crossing which was frozen solid. A little push up a steep trail which is a little slick from being hard packed, I put my spikes on here. It's just easier. I thought to myself that maybe I could use the heel lifts on my snow shoes but it was a toss up.  My legs are strong so, I figure I'm good here. Hike over continued solid trail over a few seeps to the third water crossing. Open but bridged. Lil' Nugget pauses for a drink and so do I. After a bit of a climb, we arrived at the slope outlook. No one's skiing this one today. It looks majorly icy. The view however, is always impressive to me. We pause here for food and water again.




Now we begin to climb. The majority of the elevation gain is on this section of the Mount tecumseh trail to the summit. It's an easy climb due to all the rocks being covered by the hard pack snow. My spikes are doing the trick although those that need less calf strain might want to use the heel lifts of their snow shoes as well as traction on them to climb. We veer off and check out the ski lift and see skiers on the upper trails. People are having a great day. Lil' Nugget and myself remain the only hikers though. We get back on trail and continue to the summit. The trail makes a slight turn and then continues to climb to the ridge prior to the summit. Lil' Nugget gets a reward for making it this far and I can rest my legs briefly. It's not long now to the summit.





Once we reach the two way summit sign, we go left (We always go left as it's less steep). Navigate a few rocky sections which are easy in the snow and a few quick increases in elevation. Without the fanfare of last weekend, we reach the summit. There is a view thanks to whoever cut it out. I remember when there was no view and it was still a great summit. I of course still do summit pictures and then we eat. Once we start to get cold, we pack up to head back down. 



The hike down flies by in about an hour. Lil' Nugget and I were able to jog most of it which surprised me. I don't usually run the trails but this felt good. Of course the trails in reverse are just as good and we make it back to the car by 1pm. My standard Dunkin' Doughnuts visit is just down the road... Convenient!



Mount Tecumseh was my first hike off list so to speak... There are plenty of lists out there and I've hiked a few myself. I've hiked a few rounds as a matter of fact. I'm not completely sold on a GRID Bid. Still not thrilled to hike The Cat's, The Carter's, Isolation, or Owlie 12 total times... Although I do want to hike them again sometime. Just not sure that I'll do an official GRID... Although I have not completely counted it out either. For now, I am content to just set the goal to hike and be better than I was the previous weekend. I'm enjoying the new found freedom as well as the no pressure of just enjoying myself and my time with Lil' Nugget. The ultimate long range (Well, July of this year) goal is to finish the Long Trail from Lincoln Gap to Canada. So, these hikes between now and then will serve as preparation. However you choose to hike; have fun, hike safe, and I hope to see you all out there. 


Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Tecumseh for November 2016

Fair warning... I've been cooped up with Viral Laryngitis this week so, this hike was chalk full of thoughts since well... I still can't talk. :) But as usual, I will do my best to provide trail conditions and my usual life musing. Read what you want and take the rest with a grain of sea salt and some chocolate. 
I chose the mighty little Tecumseh for no other reason than the fact that I have not been on a 4K since like... August ( I know it was Moose)? And... being "sick" I wanted to start off small and get my self out of the house and away from the remnants of Murica saying "Hold my beer and watch this...". Tecumseh is one that I could turn back on without too much agony, if I needed too. Today was a beautiful day and I thought I was leaving my house late but we made it to the ski resort (Waterville Valley) by 8am... And we were off. I'll note here that the large parking lot 1 at the trail head had only 2 other cars plus mine... It was a quiet mornin…