Skip to main content

Mt. Eisenhower, Just Because.


It's so loud down here... Let me start by pointing out this morning in my supposed "quiet" little town, it was noisy and congested with big trucks and loud motorcycles that seemed to clog the roads and my head. I wanted out and I've wanted out more often these days. Lucky for me, I possess a 4 day work week (for now) and I can get away to the White Mountains on a day when even the trails are less crowded. Maybe I'm showing my age but I'd rather enjoy a day away from it all now. Today, I was heading for Mt. Eisenhower which, I had missed when I was on Pierce a few weeks back. Today, Lil' Nugget and I would head up Edmunds Path. This is also my favorite approach to Mount Eisenhower. The grades are very easy and the path is clear. All water crossings are bridged (except for up high where there are a few small ones to cross but those are easy). Lil' Nugget and I set out in the early morning and just felt everything fall away as we walked up the path. 



Leaving it all behind, the world melted into the quiet of the woods. My legs are stronger than they have ever been and I remembered back to when I first hiked this path in 2011. It seemed so long and so steep and so... Hard. Now though the miles were passing quick and getting up those steep parts were not so steep. Lil' Nugget was even having a good time today. It was cool in the trees and the light was great coming through them. As we walked, people were filing past. It was defintly an older crowd today, given that it was Friday and most everyone was working. I met a lot of nice people though and we all just hiked and encouraged one another. Lil' Nugget so far was the only dog heading up.



Once we passed our favorite bad weather warning (Literally, my first hike it started snowing right as I reached this sign in October of 2011), we broke tree line and magically, it was a new world. With the exception of the sounds of the Cog Rail, all you could hear were your own thoughts and the wind. And that wind was minimal. It was another perfect day. Looking all around, you could see clear over to the Northern Presidentials and the towers on Washington were clearly visible too. Lil' Nugget and I stopped to talk to some other hikers and got on the subject of hiking the LT, I'll talk forever on this! My favorite question I get asked is what was my most favorite moment... I can't come up with an answer because it always leads back to the people I met. The experience doe snot have one moment but a bunch of moments strung together by hiking some trails. So, once we decide to move on, at the junction for the the Crawford Path and Eisenhower, and instead of heading up, we headed over towards Franklin... It was not until I looked back that I realized the hump with the large cairn was in the opposite direction... Time to turn around. Didn't even phase me that I took the wrong turn (were this earlier in my hiking days, I might get seriously upset). I was just happy to be walking around on my favorite trails, looking out over the world. So, Lil' Nugget and I made it back to the junction and began climbing to Eisenhower. No problem!




Once up the final piece of elevation gain, Lil' Nugget and I find a place to rest by the giant Cairn. There were a few other dogs milling about but everyone was pretty respectable of space and owners would call them back as Lil' Nugget would bark. I was able to feed Lil' Nugget and get her water without too many tiffs. She's a dog though and she's going to bark if someone (human or canine) crosses her area, this is natural. There seemed to be a variety of hikers moving through Eisenhower today, from the experienced to the less experienced. Many coming across from other peaks. We just settled in and enjoyed the endless views. Sun screen applied as I was spending an endless amount of time exposed to the sun. I was in no hurry to move anywhere and that included going back to the car. We'd strike up conversations with people coming and going and soon Lil' Nugget settled in my lap for a while and didn't even care that other dogs were around. This made me happy. She really can be around other dogs. She just needs patience and understanding and a chance to settle on her own. Today, I was happy she got this. Reluctantly, we began our journey back to the car at 2pm (we summited around 12pm). I knew that I had obligations at home and just hoped that things would be settled once I got there.

It took us an hour and a half to descend the summit. Not a bad time for not hurrying back down. A day well spent on the trails that has now left me wanting to go back already. Like I said, it's loud down here and while I have demands and obligations to fulfill (and I'll do it my way and always figure out how to make it all work), I will always have a mountain top to escape to as my back up plan. Even if it's just for a few hours, I'll find a way to rejuvenate and refocus my mind and soul. I owe a lot to these peaks and I continue to benefit from visiting weekly... Call it my mental health prescription (it does keep my anxiety and depression at bay!). The world seems to move a lot fast that me these days and I'm OK with this. I don't need to rush through things and I am less concerned with controlling every little think in my life... I'll get to it on my time... Maybe that's mountain time or trail time? After all, time moves differently on the trails too.



I have become very protective of my fragile White Mountains. I've begun carrying extra trash bags to run trash out with me when I find it. I'll even admit to asking people to be mindful of the fragile alpine environment above tree line. Having hiked these trails since 2011, I am starting to notice some changes that are not too pleasing to me... Trash, erosion, and dying alpine flora have left me feeling like I needed to do something to help... To do my part. As a person who has seen her overall health and well being improved by a region that she now calls her second home, it only seems fitting that I try and give back. So that I can keep coming back here and enjoying time well spent sitting and doing nothing on a mountain top with my best friend while the world spins madly on at a break neck speed below me. I want to challenge you all that are reading this to do the same thing... Don't just walk past the trash and complain about it later, pick it up and take it with you. Yes, I realize that it's not your trash but you can be a part of the solution before we don't have these trails to enjoy.


Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …