Skip to main content

The Long Trail Division Seven: Brandon Gap to Cooley Glen

Day 13 Continued... 8/19/15: Brandon Gap to Sucker Brook Shelter

Going down to US 73, we crossed the busy road and after a field, we began climbing rock stairs. It was .7 up to the Great Cliffs of Mt. Horrid. These were beautiful and offered 180* views of the valley below. I spent a little time out there just soaking in these final sights. The end was coming fast and while I was getting excited, I also wanted to put the brakes on. 

We then continued back on the trail to Mt. Horrid. which had a nice vista to look out over as well. The breeze was welcoming so, we kept moving on down the trail a little and then up again to Cape Lookoff Mountain with another great view. The trails have been a mix of rocks and roots and starting to resemble The White Mountains I know so well. This also signals that we are getting close to the 4 remaining 4K peaks. After a few miles of ups and downs, some slips and falls, I arrived at Gillespie Peak. It's been a long day already and with 2 miles to go, Isis and I begin descending. My feet are so tired, I'm probably a little dehydrated too from the sun. We took it slow and navigated the rocks and stairs to finally arrive at Sucker Brook Shelter. Jonny Appleseed was already there and I was followed shortly by some of the kids, Mike T, and the family had also arrived. Some of the kids however were still out there. Slowly, I get camp set up away from everyone so that they have the bigger sites and I ate dinner as did Isis. Then we joined the crowd for a fire. I died my socks on the hot fire ring. I also propped my feet up so they got a good chance to dry out too. It was one of the best feelings in the world. My heart was full this night. I felt really good again. I felt whole for the first time in a long time. 

Tomorrow, I could do 7.6 to Boyce which is closed but I can tent there or I can do 9.6 and stay at Skyline Lodge...

Day 14: 8/20/15: Sucker brook to Skyline Lodge

Here's what I've been thinking about this whole trip... Peak bagging, The Lists, The Grid, None of it really matters any more. Spend time out on a long distance hike with just yourself and maybe your dog if you are lucky and see what you learn and what suddenly matters and doesn't matter any more.  Out here on the trail, it seems that just making it anywhere, be it one mile or 20 is what matters and if you got up and over a peak, that's fantastic. As long as you make it somewhere to share some time with someone (or maybe just a quiet night with yourself to think), you're ahead of the game. Numbers don't matter. Having the time of your life is what matters. Smiles not miles. Do you give up or do you keep going? What pushes you on when it rains and the only choice you have is to walk? I'm not really sure what it is for me. I just know that there was somethingI had to see through to the end. Something I needed to complete. I still have two days left and tomorrow and Saturday are low mileage days. I can take it easy finally. This has been an endurance test for me. The day in and day out walking has been a good experience. Not sure yet how I feel about going back to The Whites either. I guess we'll see. 

Today was not a hard day but it certainly was not easy either. The high miles have done a number on my feet and they just hurt now. As I left Sucker Brook this morning, I took it slow. Footing was good so I was able to move at a decent pace for me. It was a pretty good climb up Worth Mountain too. Passing through the ski slopes, I stopped dat a lift where Jonny Appleseed was resting. A chair was in the perfect spot for a photo and I asked him to take my picture with Isis. After a rest, We continued to Middleburg Gap and the road. The descend was gradual. After this, we began climbing again up Burnt Hill which had some nice open spots to catch the sun. It also had a relatively flat walk once you got up to elevation. I did really enjoy this. descending down and then up to Kirby peak, I passed by Boyce Shelter which is not structurally sound and closed. A long ascent to Mt. Boyce followed by a rough 2.1 miles to skyline lodge where we would find our home for the night. 

As it would turn out, there was rain moving in and even though I had set up my tent, I asked Jonny Appleseed if I could stay in the shelter with Isis and agreed to ask Mike T when he arrived too. Since it was originally going to be just the 3 of us, it was OK. As the night wore on, the 3 of us plus Isis turned into about 16 of us in a 14 person shelter. Everyone took shelter form the early rain. Sleep was hard this night. Still, I was happy because my gear was dry!

Day 15: 8/21/15: Skyline Lodge to Cooley Glen

Wow! Day 15 already and at the same time, I never thought I would get here. In a sense, I thought that I would have quit a long time ago. But here I am and this morning, I woke up too rain at Skyline Lodge. It was a slow morning with oatmeal and coffee to get me on my way. I put on the rain poncho m mother had given me (A free one from my cousins triathlon in London of all places!) and set out for Glen Cooley. I should arrive there around lunch time. Since it was cloudy and drizzly to start, I skipped the summit spur to Breadloaf and took a break at Emily Proctor Shelter. the rain had already lightened up so, I figured that it would b a nice day after all. Of course, the other hiker at the shelter seemed to report that Armageddon was happening... and he was not sure how he was going to make it to Skyline. We set out again for Glen Cooley undistorted up and over Mt. Wilson. The rocks were slick but the view was worth it. 

Coming back to the LT, I got a little turned around initially and headed back south. Corrected, I was on my way again but got turned around again whenI saw the Clark Brook trail. Again, I got on track and headed in the right direction. I went up and over an un-named peak and then the long walk Mt. Cleveland. With only a few blazes, it make sit a challenge to get there. There were a number of ups and downs to this trail too and every up seemed to fool me into thinking I was there. Oh, and the mud was back... Deep. As we walked, we caught up to Let it go and Lost and Found the father and son from Russia. I know I had to have been close now and with one great big push, down a steep trail, we arrived at Glen Cooley. My final shelter at 1pm. I sat in the sun and dried my feet again. Footsie, Water Boy, and their sister were having lunch with Jonny Appleseed. It was nice to have a group good bye as they were all moving on the Lincoln Gap tonight along with the Russians who were continuing to Batel Shelter. I was happy to rest here for the night. Mike T was the last to arrive and I set up my tent shortly after he came. His brother met him at the shelter too as they will walk out and off trail together tomorrow. The school group did also arrive and kind of awkwardly set up camp around us. I will say that it has been fun to see them all progress to what they referred to as "Thru hiker speed". Mike T's brother brought up candy and an fruit (including oranges!). I was in heaven! I had been craving citrus since Stratton Mountain.

A chill set in me and I went to my tent with Isis. I took some quiet time to think as well as try and sleep. Tomorrow, I am excited and sad to go home. Only a 4.7 mile day tomorrow.

Division Seven Completed!

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.

The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…