Skip to main content

So Many Twists and Turns and Coming out Strong on an Attempt of Mount Hale


      New England seems to be in the middle of the most active weather pattern I have ever experienced since I started winter hiking in 2012. My week started by seeing a window of opportunity to maybe get another Presi in... I was thinking Adams for a big boost to my mood. By Thursday, I was planning on Zealand/West Bond which would rearrange my winter finish but at the same time would keep me on track. I really wanted another from my list to try and I was holding on to big plans since I really needed the time out in the woods. Summit or not, I was going and I was trying to beat another blizzard to boot. On a side note, my yard and my psyche cannot really handle any more snow... I need a less active weather pattern soon. 

        OK, so when I woke up, it was -2* at my house in Southern New Hampshire. Maybe just Hale but I'll take Zealand Rd incase I am feeling good and want to walk to full way to get Zealand and West Bond. Isis and I are off and the skies are clear at this early point in the morning. I pull into the winter lot for Zealand Rd and begin to get Isis and myself ready. I step outside and the temps feel bearable so, maybe there is hope? There is always hope... I carry my shoes to put on at the start of the road. We walk the snowmobile trail instead of 302 to keep us off the cold tar. It's well groomed so, it's easy to walk. I put on my shoes and we are off up the hill. My hair is frozen within the first 10 minutes. But I am reluctant to layer up because I know I'll over heat. The good thing is that Zealand road is well packed by cross country ski traffic. It's the preferred way to get to the Zealand Hut and sleds pack a path very well. I'm very happy out here today and the sun even makes an appearance... Briefly as the snow has been flying since I got out of the car. 


           The road walk is always peaceful and quiet. I can hear the howl of the wind and as I walk, I am aware that my hands are cold but my core is very warm. Isis and I press on except now we are going to Hale Brook. That's a 2.5 mile walk from the start of the road and as I pass my landmarks, I see the trailhead approaching. Isis and I have walked the 2.5 in an hour and that to me is worth everything. Usually, I am slower in winter. I feel strong. Isis gets a quick refuel and we head off down the Hale Brook Trail. It's 2.2 to the summit from here and I'm thinking that this might be a possible day after all. The Hale Brook Trail is well packed still and the snow falling is very fine. It stings my face in the cold but it's not accumulating fast. Again... Hopeful. There is always hope.



       I'm aware now that I am slowing down which is typical on any ascent that I make. I'm not OK with this today as it is cold and I am up against a blizzard. As Isis and I press on up the Hale Brook trail, I am aware that my toes are tingling now and my hands are a little cold but again, my core is fine. I think that movement will help so, we keep going and the inclines are apparent. I'm working my toes really well so my shoes will grip the trail. The good thing is that my Tubbs Flex VTR 24's are fantastic at this and almost too aggressive for today. We cross the water crossings and I really don't even notice them because there is so much snow. What I am aware of is that the snow is becoming less consolidated and more work is being put into going up. I have to make the road trip out in the end. Can I do this? Can I summit? I keep pressing and I hear the winds and feel the lack of temps. Isis and I make it to about 3000Ft and I stop in a sheltered area of trail. It's so cold and while I am unaware of how the upper trail is in reality, I also know that I'm the only one out here and if I were to get in trouble, there is no cell service. It really doesn't kill me to turn back. I can look at a hike in a number of different ways now. I know that it's starting to not be worth it for me to keep going and why fight it out? I could be saving myself a lot of grief by not having to drive home in the storm. Isis and I turn back. It's time to go home and wait out the next rounds of snow.


       At this point, the way down is much quicker and I manage to stay upright for a lot of the loss in elevation. It is to cold to butt sled today. Back at the trail head in no time, and we begin the 2.5 out to the road. It's quiet to begin with and since it's still morning, I'm thinking that the hut crowd will be making the trek out soon. Although who would be heading out to be there in a blizzard and good luck getting out again... The first group we run into is three guys who absolutely ohhh and ahhh over Isis and each one gives her a good amount of attention. Maybe the dog things works in reverse too? Oh yeah, it's Valentines day and 3 guys are solo out to an AMC hut... This surprised me for some reason. They were great to talk to briefly as we all seemed to want to keep moving in this cold. I wished them a safe and warm night. As Isis and I continued on the road is getting closer and I'm making the same great time out as I did coming in. At the bottom of the first hill (right by the entrance), I am stopped by a group of three. "Is this the easy way to the hut?"I think they are joking but I answer with; "You've got about 4 miles to the trail head and another 3 or so to the hut. It's not easy but it is well packed down." They just looked blankly and one said "I just want to make sure we are on the right track."I worry about this for some reason but I don't lecture. I'm almost home and it's been a good day. One of the guys in the group asks about Isis and then it happens... "I hope you named her..." I cut him off with "And now, I'm leaving." Seriously people, let it go. Who in their right mind would name a dog after THAT??? Isis and I happily land back at the snowmobile track and I take my shoes off to carry out. There are plenty of people heading to the hut tonight... Most don't talk because they are bundled up to the hilt. One gentleman made the comment... "Those are some serious snowshoes." As I walk by I tell  him, "Yes they are." He could not see it because I covered my face but I was smiling.


        I'm a strong hiker even if I don't feel it sometimes. I carry these feeling with me at sea level too even if I'm feeling drained and low, I know that the weekend is coming when I can feel strong again. It's funny but the last winter trek to Hale, it was just after New Years and I was avoiding someone. Today, on Valentines Day, I was again avoiding something in a sense. But what I found was a new found love of myself. I'm a strong woman who can get through just about anything. I am blessed with a handful of close friend and a great family. Let's not forget that I have had my heart stolen by the best trail dog for me. I am endlessly lucky. A summit is great but sometimes the lessons learned are way more powerful. I can take this hike and know that this summer on the Long Trail, I should be just fine. My pace is strong because I am strong. 

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.


The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…