Skip to main content

Moosilauke Transitioning....


 
                Transitions are never easy and in the transition from Winter to Spring, Winter was having a hard time letting go. Today, I was excited to head back to Mt Moosilauke for what I hoped to be a clear day at the summit. The weather report painted the picture of a cloudy day to start and then clearing with cold temps (-30 with the wind chill). In spite of the wind chill on an extremely open summit, I was going anyway and Isis was coming with me. It was time for us to return to Moose since we had not been there since June of last year.
                As a matter of fact, I had no issues convincing myself to get out of bed. I was looking forward to this and getting back to successful hiking trips. Of course the early spring conditions had something different planned. After an uneventful ride, I hit 118 and a snow storm broke out. The road reminds me of the mountain road I take to work and as it was poorly plowed and chock full of frost heaves, I thought several times about turning back (already) and I pushed and made it to the trail head, trying not to think of how I was going to get out if this continued for the majority of the day.
                I had read a trail report from Thursday that said there was some drifting and that the Ravine Road was skiable. This meant that it was also snowshoeable and broken out. Isis and I got ready to head out in this early spring snow storm. It was easy going for a while and we enjoyed the silence of the road walk. I continued to pack down what was already packed and covered in recent snow fall (about 3 inches). It was fluffy powder so, I thought nothing of it given the depth. As Isis and I walked, I did begin to think about what lay ahead and began coming up with alternative plans, including one that had us turning back at the lodge. Maybe it was here that I began psyching myself out.

 
                The road faced the wind in places and the snow stung my face and coated everything. The drifting had begun and there were places that Isis was up to her belly. I promised her that we would evaluate at the Lodge and see what the day held. Summit or not, this would be a good day for us. Far better way to kick off Spring than sitting on the couch or anywhere indoors. No matter how long we were out today. Summit or not.

 
                In deed as we made it to the Lodge, the snow looked to be tapering off and I could see blue skies. We began to head down the trail by the lodge and seemed to step into deeper and deeper drifts. I of course pushed as Isis was not hindered yet and did not show signs of turning back. We came around to the front of the Lodge to the open field and suddenly we were faced with unbroken drifts up to my knees and thighs. Isis was not having it at all and did her about face. I was not going to stop her. I have always told her that we don’t have to do anything that she doesn’t want to do. So, we turned back. Much like people, I am not about to hike with a miserable dog. That makes it no fun for either of us.


 
                Heading back the way we came, I discovered that my tracks were now blown in and a little deeper in spots. We continued to walk back to the car and while I reasoned that the summit would have been too cold for us and what if we got too far in and became exhausted from breaking trail on our own, it seemed to help. There still remained that nagging voice and picture in my mind that I always get when I back out of something. Transitions are never easy and on top of the seasonal transition, I seem to be in the midst of a few others. I’ll keep plowing through the silence and the fog of bad energy and I’ll keep trying, hoping that once things clear, I am standing on a beautiful summit looking out over the world as I will come to know it, a calm and peaceful place surrounded by good people who get this lifestyle in the mountains.

 

                You can’t keep us down for long…. Even with a snow storm possible mid-week, I’ll be watching the reports to see what’s broken out for next weekend. Slow and steady I will build this grid. It may take a lifetime and in that lifetime, I will see 576.
 

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Tecumseh for November 2016

Fair warning... I've been cooped up with Viral Laryngitis this week so, this hike was chalk full of thoughts since well... I still can't talk. :) But as usual, I will do my best to provide trail conditions and my usual life musing. Read what you want and take the rest with a grain of sea salt and some chocolate. 
I chose the mighty little Tecumseh for no other reason than the fact that I have not been on a 4K since like... August ( I know it was Moose)? And... being "sick" I wanted to start off small and get my self out of the house and away from the remnants of Murica saying "Hold my beer and watch this...". Tecumseh is one that I could turn back on without too much agony, if I needed too. Today was a beautiful day and I thought I was leaving my house late but we made it to the ski resort (Waterville Valley) by 8am... And we were off. I'll note here that the large parking lot 1 at the trail head had only 2 other cars plus mine... It was a quiet mornin…