Skip to main content

The Tripyramids in Winter and in the Moment.


 
                There are a lot of goals out there for people to strive for, to improve one’s self, to be more open, to take a step forward career wise, or maybe to scrap everything and start over. I feel as though I have had a chance to start over with a new job that is essentially a new career for me. After an exciting week of learning the new job and one snow storm flat out in the middle of the week, I reached Saturday and it was time to get to my other goals. Back in September, as I was finishing the New England 67, I told myself that a triple win at the next annual meeting would be possible. Those wins being, my New England 67, Isis’ multi season 48, and my Winter 48 set. It would be a great undertaking and one that I would have to dig deep for. Today, the alarm was going off for the Tripyramids. I am now 14 peaks away from my final goal for the hiking season (prior to the annual meeting). I’m happy to hit the trails and at the same time fighting with myself to make this a hike and not a “get it out of the way for the goal” hike. It’s the Tripyramids. Not very exciting or spectacular. NO, those hikes were coming and I was worried and struggling to keep my head in the present moment.
                At the trail head for Pine Bend Brook, there are already 4 cars there and I swing around to park on the opposite side of the street. It’s not very plowed out so I am careful with Isis and the cars as they pass by. I decided to leave the snowshoes in the car. Reports I had read said that people did the same things. The lower part of the trail is packed out rather nicely so, I am feeling OK with my decision. Isis and I continued up the trail and began dealing with some cold temps and a little more snow on the trails. We had encountered another couple that were hiking with their dog (We’d later find out that it was Alison and her dog Izzy as well as her hiking partner). Isis and I did not stick with them as we really wanted a day to ourselves. We knew we’d be doing some leap frogging and we were OK with that. The water crossings on Pine Bend Brook were negligible. Either they were frozen and bridged our moving so minimal that they could be stepped over. Both Isis and I made our way to the steeper section while we dealt with some nippiness on the part of Isis and Izzy. While I keep Isis on a leash, she becomes protective of me as well as a little nippy when dogs charge, they are not meaning harm, it just seems threatening to her. She’s also not crazy about new dogs on the trail (she’d rather start a hike with them like she does with Kali sometimes). Just before really getting into the steep section, I put on my new Hillsound trail crampons (finally getting to use them after purchase a few weeks back). They have a decent grab to them so, I am all set to slowly make my way up the trail.

 
                Isis doesn’t seem too thrilled to be on the trail today. She’s having some issues with her paws that make me concerned and seems to be stopping a lot more as well causing me some awkward stops on the steep trail. I do my best to keep her moving while wondering about turning back.  We keep bumping into the other couple on the trail and try not to crowd while keeping a good pace. Approaching the junction of the Mt. Tripyramid trail, Isis and I take a break for food and drink. I take a look at her back paws and see two HUGE snowballs. This is not good and has never affected her before. Getting her squared away, we keep moving forward on some flatter trail where we make up some time. We come across another guy and his dog Luna just before the summit. Isis wants nothing to do with Luna and makes it known as we bushwhack around an icy steep section. She is just not having a good day and I’m hoping to put some space between us and looking for some quiet. Slowly, we make our way to the summit of North Tripyramid. The snow has since covered a lot of the difficult rock sections that on our last pass through were covered in minimal snow and lots of ice. At the summit, Isis and I celebrate with cheese for her and soup for me. We are closely followed by the other group and while we talk briefly, Isis and I begin to make our way over to Middle Tripyramid. Again, the snow is a little deeper although I am still doing well with just the trail crampons on. Isis seems to be moving a little better as well and we make our way over to the next summit. On the incline to Middle Tripyramid, we are approached by another gentleman in black and immediately recognize Tim C. He’s excited to meet Isis officially and Isis is excited to see him too. The three of us make our way to the summit and celebrate another victory. Pictures are taken and Tim is off down the trail again (we never did catch up to him).

                The way back to the summit of North Tripyramid is a little more crowded with groups and dogs and Isis appears to be getting more stressed out and it’s all I can do to keep her moving. Some owners are not too thrilled with me at the requests to control their off leash dogs however, I need to look after my little girl. Stopping briefly to speak with friends in a meet up group, Isis and I come back to North Tripyramid and stop briefly to rest and grab another piece of cheese. I remind Isis that going back down is so much easier. A lot of the down is spent sliding down the trail again and that passes the time. Once we were truly descending, we didn’t see another soul and the trail was peaceful for us. There were a couple of sections of Pine Bend brook where I either slid off trial or got my leg caught. Lucky, I was not going fast enough to break it and still I became a little more cautious with my sledding.  Isis was doing better with the pace and we were down from the steeps in no time. The remainder of Pine Bend Brook was well broken out and traveled so, we moved quickly. I picked her up for some of the water crossings due to the earlier snow balling. On the lower sections before the trail came to the road, Isis and I ran into two ladies who only made it half way due to time (they started late). Turns out, it’s the mother of an old high school classmate proving that it truly is a small world. Isis and I are back at the car by 3pm and after a quick change into dry cloths, we are destine for coffee and a munchkin and the ride back to Southern New Hampshire.

 
                Not a bad day on the trails (not that there ever is a bad day). It seemed like both Isis and myself were struggling with trying to stay in the moment and in the game for the day. I could not seem to get my head out of the future with 5 hiking weekends left to winter and all 5 packed with peaks, I will need to dig very deep to get my goal done. I’m prepared for anything and at the same I’m so close, I can feel it. I also wanted so much to make this a hike for a hike and not for a number or something akin to my goal. It just was not possible today. It was the Tripyramids and while not a favorite hike, one I was glad to do for the things I learned about myself in terms of tolerance level and endurance. I could have given up at a few different moments however, my desire to see this goal through seems to win and will hopefully keep me strong through the remainder of winter.   

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …