Skip to main content

The Carter's and Winters Return to the Whites.


 
                The original plan was a mid-fall Presidential Traverse and I was really looking forward to the undertaking. Isis would stay home and I would have gone with friends, John and Brenda. It was going to be epic. Well, the only thing epic was the cold and the winds. I can hike in a lot of conditions however, wind was not one I wanted to really deal with. So, as I was driving out, I was consulting with Silverfox and discerned that this trip was not meant to be. A quick call to John and there was no debate. I was heading home and it was for the best. A normal Saturday would be interesting. I have not had one of those since the beginning of July. So the errands got run, the coffee maker got replaced (a sad night waking up to start a presi with no coffee), and Isis got a good walk around Ashuelot  Park in Keene. We got back to the car and she looked at me as if to say, “is that it”? So, a plan was made for the Carter’s. Three peaks for the grid and for Isis to get closer to her forty-eight. I figured if I tossed in Mt. Hight, I could get a red line or two as well. Seemed like a good day to get back in the mountains after a relatively normal Saturday.

                The last time I was in the Carter Range, life was a disaster for me. I was between jobs and in limbo in a relationship. I was literally walking the world numb and as a result, the hike was horrendous. I had to split the range and then I had to split the Wild Cat's when I tacked them onto Carter Dome. This time, feeling a little different and excited for this not really favorite set of peaks. I had begun hiking with different people since July and was looking forward to today’s journey. I was joined by Chris whom I have not hiked with since the great bushwhack on Moose back in June. It was great to see him after a rather snowy commute to the mountains. I had been stuck behind a few plows and late. I made it to the trailhead for 8:30am. We were off down the trail shortly thereafter.

 
                The snow was accumulating on the trails and just beginning to cover the rocks and roots. There was not enough for microspikes yet however, we both knew that would be coming soon. We continued up the 19 Mile Brook Trail and negotiated the rocks and roots with relative ease. My footing was feeling good and Isis was at least trying to stay in line. She seemed to enjoy the return of the snow as well. Following the brook, we admired the water as it cascaded over the rocks. Water crossings were negotiated and I opted to pick up Isis to save the ice from forming on her paws. We made great time to the junction and began to make our ascend to South Carter, all the while enjoying both the scenery and the intermittent conversation and silence. I was trying not to stop too much however, sometimes it was necessary to catch my breath.

 
                A younger girl and older woman (possibly her mother), had caught up to us at the next junction as we were breaking for a little food and drink as well as to put a layer back on that we had stripped off on the 19 mile Brook Trail. We chatted for a brief moment before we began to head up the trail to South Carter and I was stopped by a Spruce grouse on the trail who was not too concerned about anything. We all waited for the bird to move and of course snapped a few pictures.

 
                There were sections of bog bridges to go over in-between more ups and downs on the trail. The ice was also beginning to build as we climbed. A feeling that we were getting closer to the summit overcame me and sure enough, we had made it. A small cairn and a summit post on the back of a tree. Chris offered to snap Isis’ picture with me and number 25 was in the book for her. We had a little something more to eat and I had some of my Gatorade. We got moving again as no one seems to rest long in winter conditions. The ridge was a little exposed in places and beautiful views were all around us as we continued to negotiate the rocks and the snow and ice. I was sure that this snow was here to stay until spring time. Moving from South to Middle carter proved a little more difficult as the ice was thicker and hidden under snow. There was not enough Ice to warrant spikes though and I continued to slip and slide all over the place happily. The views were incredibly dramatic and that more than made up for a few falls. At Middle Cater, we stopped by the cairn for more pictures and a little food. Isis got her bowl of trail mix and devoured it along with some cheese. She also tried to get food off of Chris and was given a stern no from the both of us.  

 
 
Once rested, we began moving again so that we did not get too cold. Making our way back over to South Carter and back the way we came. The original plan was to back track and get Carter Dome however, I had grown concerned for Isis who seemed to be favoring a back leg and walking just a little funny (in-between runs and pulls of the leash) and I was also growing tired. I had one significant fall where my leg was caught on a tree and bent in an awkward position causing me to land on it as well. I was able to shake it off and even still it takes a lot out of someone. We made the turn to make an attempt at Carter Dome however, I changed plans and we headed back to the car. I just could not see pushing Isis to go up the ledges and myself for that matter. Hiking in winter conditions turns a relatively easy hike into something of a major undertaking. So, as we made our descend, I didn’t beat myself up for turning back. I simply let it be.  And as we made our way back down the 19 mile brook trail, the payers came off as the snow was all but melted. The trail was looking muddy and green again. For how long that lasts, no one really knows. Conditions could change tomorrow.

There were congratulations handed out at the parking lot and Isis and I were on our way again sure that we would all hike again sometime. We took the long way home and enjoyed the night while thinking about the day. I was on the verge of another job change that would bring me closer to home as closer to bringing my life back to the way it was a little over a year ago prior to the disastrous relationship from my previous hike of this range. I as eager to get back into that space and looking forward to the many hikes Isis and I had on the horizon for the month of November and into the start of the winter season.

Popular posts from this blog

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Mount Moosilauke

So, I lasted all of 2 weeks off the trails from when I left VT. This weekend, I got tired of waiting for that all day soaking rain (that we need) and hiked Moosilauke via Glencliff. A new trail for me and another small section of the AT. It's a 7.8 mile day today, round trip. It's HUMID and as my history would tell, I do not do well in humidity. But the other thing I am known for is my stubbornness. I'm no quitter. I may stumble but I am not known for quitting.


Glenciff trail starts off easy enough. I walked down from the parking area and entered the woods which quickly transitioned to a field of milkweed. It looked as though some people had chosen to camp here as some areas were tramped down. The trail continues into the woods and over a small well flowing stream. I can feel the humidity in the air and start to take it slow. Even the tree cover is not helping today. Isis and I continue and start to climb but there are very few large rocks to deal with so, the trail is a …