Skip to main content

Killington Peak... Kick's Off the Next Leg of the Journey


I had finished my 48 in grand style before my deadline. What else was there to do? A better question is where else is there to go? And I was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the winter season to continue the same journey over snow and ice. Until December, I would have to work on my next set, the 19 peaks left for the New England 67. I had no set plan for completing these, I figured if I got them done by the time I was 50, I’d be happy. I thought this knowing that once I got started, they’d go pretty quick and 50 would just give me plenty of time so I would not have to rush.

Veteran’s day weekend, was a 3 day weekend for me and I was hoping to get at least one NE67 peak in as well as a trip to the Whites. I had been craving a good hike in the Presidential for a while and with some fresh snow that had fallen, winter fever had officially begun for me. I wanted to play in the snow so, we trekked off to try and get Pierce and Jackson. They’d count for my hiking partner’s 48 and for my November grid if we made it. Which we did not. We hiked to the Mizpah Hut and played with the Gray Jays for a while and headed for home. Dealing with some stiff muscles in my legs was never any fun and my hiking partner being less prepared for the cold made it worse. I was left disappointed and searching my mind for a way to hike solo for the rest of my journey. I had finally grown tired of the complaints and the comments about hiking for a purpose as opposed to just hiking. I was tired of being brought to tears again and again. And yet there would be more hikes. We chose to hike Killington Peak on our extra day off.

The contrast of the mountains that I love in New Hampshire and the mountains of Vermont were glaring to me. Killington Peak was the very top of the ski resort peak and even though we were in 6 plus inches of snow the day before yesterday, there was no snow over here. Microspikes, heavy winter clothing, and snowshoes were not needed. The pack suddenly got a lot lighter where my heart was still very heavy from the previous hike. We set out on the very flat Bucklin Trail looking to connect with the Longtrail to the summit. I really enjoyed this and quietly, I walked and smiled, looking at all the green surrounding me. This was in stark contrast to Saturday in 6 inches of snow (however fun that was). I had begun to strip off layers in the warmth of the day as we silently made our way down the trail. Each of us commented on how easy it was and how nice it was. We could not get over the differences between New Hampshire and Vermont. I was liking this leg of the journey already.

Not too surprising, the trail did not stay flat for long. Soon we were huffing and puffing; or rather I was huffing and puffing up the Long Trail. I lagged behind on the steeper section and it never ceased to amaze me how bad I felt to watch someone have to wait for me to catch up. And then to have that person just take off before my breath was caught seemed pointless to me. The good thing was that the mood was a lot lighter today than it had been. I was however leery of the change. We kept walking and came across a pretty serious blow down which could not be moved or cut to move. Only thing left was to climb over it. We continued to walk and eventually found ourselves on the Appalachian Trail and suddenly greeted by a man in ski boots who was apparently skiing the mountain as it had opened a few trails due to the recent cold weather.  We also checked out a cabin that served as a shelter in bad weather. It seemed to be very rustic and was unfortunately colorfully tagged from top to bottom on the inside with all kinds of graffiti. 

We continued on in the warm afternoon sun and I had noted how the trail had not shifted too much in terrain. This seemed to be a nice even mountain and the elevation gain was not as obvious again. We made our final push to the rocky summit and fire tower. It was a beautiful open rocky trail to the summit and I smiled all the way up the vertical climb. Once on the summit, we settled in for pictures and view admiration. This was a new view looking towards the Adirondacks in New York. I was very peaceful at least until the tourists arrived in their fashion boots and crisp white coats looking as though they were freezing. We tried to keep to ourselves but they were every where. My partner had struck up a conversation with the group and I soon was tossed right in the middle as he told them how I had climbed the 48 peaks in New Hampshire in less than a year. 

I was proud of my accomplishment and took over telling the story and giving some interesting highlights from trips past. I also added in my winter plans which always seemed to astound people and then add what I was doing sitting on this mountain today. Number 49 was a mellow climb on a great day to kick off my bid for the New England 67.

Popular posts from this blog

Mount Willard

All I wanted to do this week was climb to the top of a mountain. Any mountain at this point as I have been dealing with something that keeps me down. I had been thinking of Mount Willard... 2,865Ft and a 1.6mile trail. Small compared to what I usually hike. But small enough I might be able to summit.

It's a Saturday and I left my house a little after 8am. So much later than I usually leave to hike. But this is not a long hike at all so, after a cup of coffee and making myself one for the road, I loaded the car and headed for The Whites. I knew it would be crowded today since it is Saturday and as I thought, I'm parking on 302... Both the Depot, and the Highland Center are packed. It's .1 to the junction after the cross of the tracks and then we head up the Mt. Willard trail. So far, the trail itself is uncrowded but I assumed that everyone was already up there. Isis on the other hand was busy smelling markers for every dog that has hiked before her. 

The trail is super pa…

Franconia Falls

This morning, I had my sights set on Mt. Waumbek. I figured it would be a good one as I continue to get my legs under me from being sick last month and I had not visited it in a long time. I parked at the winter lot since the residents on the road leading to the trail head love to tow cars that park on the side of the road (believe me, do not tempt fate). Secure my snowshoes to my pack and got Isis all ready. In-spite of colder than cold temps, I really wanted to summit. As I walked up the road, I felt the tightness in my ankle and hoped that it would go away and loosen up and maybe I'd stop sucking wind too. I kept going up the trail and got to the well for a reluctant Pup picture. The trail itself is good and packed. I did not wear microspikes and had no need for snowshoes. I was hopeful that I might use them later in the day. Waumbek starts out with not a great deal of elevation gain but today, it was just enough to make me question... Things in my joints have not been quite r…

Mount Waumbek

It's Mount Waumbek, in Jefferson NH. 4006ft and only 7.2miles round trip. Why is today such a fight? I started out from the gas station in town since I wasn't sure if the hiker lot was plowed out from the latest blizzard. Made my way to the trail head up Mt. Starr King Road. There is a large snow pile from the plow right at the start to the trail head. Once at the trail head parking lot, I put on my snowshoes. I was thankful to not have the weight on my pack anymore. Switched Isis to her longer lead so she can run a bit. We started off on a decently packed trail. Looked like someone had dragged a polk behind them to break it out, it was so nice. Climbed past the well and continued with the steady incline, I seemed to slow down. I also felt tired but, I pushed on. I wanted this summit today.

The sun was bright and warm which was helping move the day along. The Mt. Starr King trail remained in great shape through this section too. I was dragging on the inclines but continued to…